[G4] [OT] Correct English Flame War

Robert H. Baucom rbtbcm at owc.net
Mon Feb 23 13:14:09 PST 2009

France ? An excellent example of what happens when the "Authorities"
try to freeze or suppress what is acceptable in a language.

A quote from Orik on the website Mouthfuls: I've found that language
cops generally mock everyone who can't use language at the level they
can manage, while dismissing anyone who corrects them as being
unnecessarily pedantic.

These purists in France and Quebec are  wetting their pants about how
many americanisms are assimilating  into their everyday usage.
That is the reason that English is such an expressive language. It
gathers up these nouns and verbs from other languages that catch
the public's fancy. American English adopted French terms such as
"garage" on the pretty quick. My old Dad and uncles didn't pronounce
Coupe as "coop", they
used the "Correct French" pronunciation "Cu-pey" ... Meanwhile the
frogs are getting jerky over American Movies, fast food and music.
lyrics.

http://thelanguageguy.blogspot.com/2008/04/difficulty-in-being-
french.html

http://www.samizdata.net/mt/93uhdy736.cgi?entry_id=11291

Ah speeks Tex un. Hand me that roll uv bob-war.

RHB