[G4] G4 partition

Ben Smith ben.smith at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 27 09:22:30 PST 2009

> Message: 8
> Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 15:20:33 -0800
> From: Ingrid Mager Renault <wolfiebear at coldreams.com>
> Subject: Re: [G4] G4 partition
> To: "A place to discuss Apple's G4 computers."
> 	<g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>
>> Yup..that is what I thought. Tried it and it doesn't work.
>
>> I have a SOFTWARE RESTORE disk for that computer too, but it also
>> says it won't work on it. What gives? It originally came with a
>> DUAL 1.25  set-up, but that got replaced with  a DUAL 866
>> processor. Could that be the reason why? Otherwise, the computer
>> runs like a champ.....
>
> Thanks,
> Inga
>

>> According to the Mac OS compatibility chart:
>>
>> <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1835>
>>
>> the MDD can only run 9.2.2, and only the version that was shipped
>> with the system (i.e., a retail version will probably not work).
>>
>> Eric S.
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 18:33:23 -0600
> From: OBrien <bco at hiwaay.net>
> Subject: Re: [G4] G4 partition
> To: "A place to discuss Apple's G4 computers."
> 	<g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 15:20:33 -0800, Ingrid Mager Renault wrote:
>>> the MDD can only run 9.2.2, and only the version that was shipped
>>> with the system (i.e., a retail version will probably not work).
>
> The Sys9.2.2 disc that I used to install onto the Quicksilver 800mHz came with the computer, so I guess it was the one that was supplied with that Mac from the factory, although I can't say for certain because I bought that Mac used.

> O'Brien

The MDD restore disk will only work with 10.2.8 or below, Apple have
released a patch to allow you to use it with 10.3 / 10.4 but I cannot
find the link to it at present.
As others have stated, the retail version of 9.22 will not work properly
as it is missing some drivers and a ROM file.
You may be able to use Pacifist to extract the 9.2.2 system directly
from the CD.
Ben.