[G4] Correct English Flame War

keith_w keith_w at dslextreme.com
Sat Feb 28 11:24:21 PST 2009

Robert H. Baucom wrote:
> OK, computer malfunction and jargon forgotten, you've drawn me into this
> cyber seminar.
> While some of these complaints might be attributed to "Resistance to
> Change" ...  even they will have to admit to: the English language is a
> dynamic (changeable) form of communication.
> In my youth it was a tidal wave, now thanks to Television, it became a
> Tsunami and it came about overnight.
> There are just a few things  that cause me to rise to  my pulpit; the
> major one being the flagrant misuse of  the term "Gentleman".
> Break it down, Gentle-man.
> I see these policeman referring to this violent, murderous cretin as
> "This Gentleman." It never  fails to raise my hackles.
> RHB
> Happiness is owning a Macintosh Computer and a Triumph Motorcycle. --
> Robt Baucom

I once served on a jury, where this woman, who had been forcibly kidnapped at
LAX, while waiting for a cab, and was driven all over town for several hours,
suffering groping and such for a long time, finally got to face them in court.

The main reason for a hung jury was, as we later explained to the prosecuting
attorney, that she had pointed to and identified one of the culprits as "That
gentleman over there."

I mean, really!

Words MEAN things!

keith whaley