[G4] Re: apps issue...outta nowhere

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Sun Jan 4 11:50:30 PST 2009

Am 04.01.2009 um 13:38 schrieb keith_w:

> Technophobic_Tom at comcast.net wrote:
>> This speaks volumes about their character...
>
> I totally disagree with that statement. Not being able to read and
> write their native language fluently speaks volumes about the
> schooling they received, and very likely reveals parents who have
> abdicated their review of their kids' schoolwork.
> How many parents care _why_ their student gets a C or below in
> their homework? Pulling down a C+ or better in MY house kept me
> from too much criticism, but a C- or worse brought on the inquisition!

I would argue that it does reflect their character, as their
character is influenced by culture, family and education. Thus the
schooling they've received has contributed to a character of apathy
towards grammar, and perhaps towards knowledge overall. It seems to
me that many are content to entrust knowledge to others, more or
less. I think, Keith, you were agreeing with Tom while thinking it
was otherwise.

cwick: I hope you will let this show you what impact your use of
"internet English" has on the communication you wish to convey.
Choosing to write decently will gain you more respect, pure and
simple, and you can see that many people don't like deciphering some
kind of short-hand script. It did annoy me and I wanted you to know
that. I didn't know whether there would be much discussion of the
issue, but I do like it now that it's come up.

Language is made up of rules, after all, and the "internet language"
you use violates the rules and creates a style effect, and not all
style effects are positive. Just something to be aware of.

Eric W.