[G4] Re: apps issue...outta nowhere

keith_w keith_w at dslextreme.com
Sun Jan 4 11:38:37 PST 2009

Technophobic_Tom at comcast.net wrote:
> On 1/3/09, Eric Wood wrote:
>
>>  Are you trying to be annoying with your style of writing?

> Of course he's not "trying". But it's okay and just symptomatic of young
> people today.

Pardon me, Tom, but...it is NOT "okay" and your passing it off as merely
"symptomatic of young people today" speaks to your acceptance of ever-widening
mediocrity.

> When I interview candidates for positions where they'll be
> expected to produce publishable composition, fully eighty percent of
> those under the age forty can't write a passable English paragraph.

I've experienced that myself.

> This speaks volumes about their character...

I totally disagree with that statement. Not being able to read and write their
native language fluently speaks volumes about the schooling they received, and
very likely reveals parents who have abdicated their review of their kids'
schoolwork.
How many parents care _why_ their student gets a C or below in their homework?
Pulling down a C+ or better in MY house kept me from too much criticism, but a
C- or worse brought on the inquisition!

> ...and is the reason we off-shore half of our technical reports.

Absolutely so. Any technical report produced by your company of work it has done
must be as free from error as the work it supports or about which it reports.
Otherwise it calls into doubt the capability of the company to perform
error-free work in the first place.

> Respect, honor, and pride are vanishing in the US.

I have held that opinion for some time now. I agree with your indictment.

> Happy New Year!  :-/

And to you, sir, and many more to come!

keith whaley