Re: [G4] external drive don´t show up in finder or on desktop G4

Thomas DeBoni tomdeboni at mac.com
Wed Jan 14 10:32:02 PST 2009

Is there any reason you haven't upgraded to at least 10.4? It would
seem to be a good idea, if
practical. I don't KNOW that it's any better at maintaining its file
sytems than 10.3, but it
might be.

I'd consider first doing a full Disk Utilities repair on all
partitions it's possible on. The
ones that appear grayed out may simply be incomprehensible to Disk
Utilities. You should check
the types of file systems they contain. At most, you may have to
reformat them, which of course
will destroy anything they currently contain. Do you have any other
repair software you could try?
Disk utility has a Mount button that may get some of the partitions
onto your desktop, but I'd
really try repairing them, first. Then try mounting them, and finally
reformat, if all else fails.

Tom