[G4] G4 MDD Dual 867MHz - upgrade CPU?

Aaron aaron at macuser.fastmail.fm
Mon Mar 9 04:11:04 PDT 2009

>From: Jon Scordia <jscordia at mac.com>
>Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 22:42:34 +0000

[SNIP]

>I'm upgrading my fathers Mac setup for Leopard by sorting him out with
>a nice G4 MDD Dual 867MHz. It's working well.
>
>However I got my hands on a Dual 1GHz processor card from an XServe,
>so with the right bus speed (133mhz) and a bigger 2mb Level 3 cache.

The CPU speed increase is only 16%, so whether it's worth the trouble depends on how much difference the larger L3 cache makes. I have no idea about that, so no opinion.

>It was sold to me as guaranteed to work on a G4 MDD and as a simple
>swap out, utilising the original heatsink. Sounds like the sort of
>simple computer task I'm capable of...mechanical....plugin' in type
>simplicity!
>
>However one of my Mac refurbing chums has given me a few concerns with
>regards to ensuring I get the right thermal paste, get it in the right
>place and do the process very carefully to avoid creating heat
>problems. This is a new departure for me!
>
>I want to get this right and not fry anything. One guy says simple,
>the other guy says scary!
>
>Can anyone offer me any advice, or better still a link to a site that
>gives step by step 'how to' advice for this simple upgrade?

No, but you can check out any of these for starters:
<http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list/browse_thread/thread/ef5b6fc64e49a74c/72ba3c7d5502a915>
<http://clusty.com/search?query=mdd+heat-sink>
<http://clusty.com/search?query=G4+mdd+heat-sink+paste>.
(IMO, Clusty is a better search engine than Google.)

 - Aaron