[G4] Dead G4 MDD 1.42 MHZ DP

CDT cdt at globaldsl.net
Fri Mar 20 14:33:50 PDT 2009

One of my G4's - the 450 MHz AGP Graphics, I think - started doing
the same thing one day out of the blue.  I did the battery removal,
and leave disconnected from power for 20 minutes procedure I found
somewhere - nothing.  I tried the PMU reset - no joy.  I found a
pinout diagram and test procedure for the power supply online.  I
dutifully removed the PS, checked for any obvious problems (smell
like smoke, obvious arcing, etc.), and could find none.  I
reinstalled the supply and conducted the tests (the info said it MUST
be connected to the motherboard to get the correct readings).  The
diagnostics indicated it was dead.  I set it aside and began looking
for another G4.   I obtained another G4 and moved my HD into it.  I
was up again and happy.  About 6 weeks later, I was going to start
selling off the parts of the dead one.  Just for grins, I moved the
HD back into it, connected the monitor and keyboard and hit the power
button.  Surprise, surprise!  It came on and ran beautifully.  Four
years later it still works fine.  I STILL don't have a clue, other
than maybe being off for all that time allowed a charge to dissipate
from something that was messing something up.

for the right price, I'd consider buying yours on the premise its
something freaky like that.

Dan T