[G4] Quicksilver 933 problems update

Andrea Studebaker andreastu1360 at yahoo.com
Fri May 1 14:42:58 PDT 2009

Thank you all again for your great help.  I'll just update and see if anyone has any more suggestions.

Eric
asked if the computer becomes non-responsive in any other OS
installations.  I am not positive whether it happens when I am running
10.4.11 on the back-up hd, but at a minimum it happens much less often.
I can try running it on that drive for a few days and see if it happens
at all.  He referred to a discussion that seemed to point the finger at
a bad stick of RAM.  I do always have the video playing problem and the
Java games problem in 10.4.11.

Rich suggested it seemed to be a
problem between Flash and the browser (I use both Firefox and Safari,
and I'm not that crazy about either one).  I uninstalled and
reinstalled Flash and also tried installing Opera,  No improvement.

Harry
was a huge and patient help in getting TechTools Deluxe on this
computer.  I ran all the tests, including surface scan, on both
partitions of both hds and everything passed.  These tests include a
RAM test, so I'm not sure if I would still need to play around with
removing a stick of RAM at a time, to see if there are any bad sticks,
or if the test would be sufficient.

A couple of you have made the suggestion that I might want to sell this G4 and buy a mac mini
or a G5.  I might get to that point, but hope I don't have to.  For one
thing, I'd find it pretty hard to sell this one when it's having
problems, and for another this has been a labor of love and I'm pretty
attached to it.

So, at this point I don't know what to do.  At
least I've been able to eliminate some of the possibilities with your
generous help, and in the process picked up TechTools Deluxe, Stuffit Expander and Opera.

Thanks,
Andrea