[G4] * * * G4 problem

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Aug 20 12:36:34 PDT 2010

On Aug 19, 2010, at 3:57 PM, Don wrote:

> When I pushbutton start, the led light comes on and
> there are four tones, then after a few seconds, a
> 'four flash' led reaction, and then the led stays
> on... only to repeat after another several seconds.

When the startup chime doesn't make its regular single chord sound, it
is usually an indication that your RAM has a problem.
It could be that one, or all, of the modules has failed. It is also a
possibility that there is a problem with the logic board.

The best way I know of checking the RAM modules without having a
dedicated RAM module testing machine is to take out all the modules
and do a restart with only one module at a time installed. Test each
module separately this way.  If you continue to hear the four-note
sound after testing each module, you have a more serious issue to deal
with.

If you have access to some different modules, try installing them and
starting the machine. If it works, you have solved the problem and can
complete the replacing of any defective module(s).

After testing each module and getting things running, you might want
to do a re-set of the PRAM settings and rebuild the desktop directory
file. To rebuild the desktop file, hold down the Command and Option
keys while starting the machine. You will see dialogue windows telling
you the file is being rebuilt. To re-set the PRAM, hold down the
Command, the Option, and the "P" and "R" keys all together while
starting and continue to hold those keys down until you hear the start-
up chime at least three times.

It definitely is not a power supply problem because the machine is
trying to start but is finding something that isn't working properly
during the Pre-Operating System Test and before completing the system
software operation.

Good luck with finding the problem part.