[G4] Keyboard and USB

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Mon Aug 23 12:54:46 PDT 2010

On Aug 23, 2010, at 12:33 PM, John Turner wrote:

> Thanks for the help. I am sure the Mac itself has USB 1.1. The
> keyboard does come with 2 USB2 ports.I guess that will not be
> overcome the USB problems. Do you have any ideas for an alternative
> to this problem? I guess that I have 2 choices, get another kind of
> drive or have the ports installed.

If I am correct, you will NOT be able to start your G4 from an
external USB device. It has to be a FireWire device in order to be
used for a startup device for the G4 models. Only machines with an
Intel chip can use an external USB device to start up from.

The external USB device WILL be able to be used as a back-up drive
with no problems and can be used as an external iTunes storage location.