[G4] G4 shut-down woes

Peter Webster petermwebster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 13:39:48 PST 2010

Dear Dan:

I tried the Open Firmware resets as per your instructions, and when the old
Sawtooth rebooted, I got the question mark/folder icon.

I shut down. Went away. Had a sandwich. Wept. Came back. Booted up:

Question mark/folder icon, blinking.

Then,

THE APPLE...

Did some work, shut down: no problem (so far.)

THANK YOU!

PMW

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 9:57 PM, CDT <cdt at globaldsl.net> wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2010, at 12:58 PM, Peter Webster wrote:
>
>  I have an old Sawtooth G4, 500GHz AGP graphics, 1 gig of SDRAM
>>

> Try the Open Firmware resets.  These, for some reason, correct lots of
> strange problems.  It's where I always start.  Simple and often works.
>
> On startup, after the chime, hold down these 4 keys:  CMD (apple), Option,
> letter O and letter F.
>
> When told to release the keys to continue, type the following three lines.
>  NOTE:  the dash is necessary.  It should say OK after each return.
>
> reset-nvram (return )
>
> set-defaults (return)
>
> reset-all (return)
>
> The machine should then reboot and startup normally.  Good Luck!
>
> Dan

peter m. webster