[G4] Internal hard drive for MDD

Harry Freeman gifutiger at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 09:13:01 PST 2010

Greetings Bruce

AFAIC Disk Drive is a personal choice, based an a number of factors.
1) Used for Gaming
2) Used for Storage
3) Funds Available
4) etc. etc. etc.

Having said that, I mainly go for cost. I have internal on my 1999
Sawtooth AGP 350Mh (upgraded to a 12.Gh)
1) Western Digital WD1200JB-00DUA3 (120Gb)
2) Maxtor GY120PO (120Gb)
3) Seagate 500, ST3400630AS (500Gb)
4) Samsung 500, HD501LJ (500Gb)
5) IOMEGA Zip 750Mb

External
1) Seagate 750, (750Gb)
2) Maxtor 300, (300Gb)
3) Samsung 80 (80Gb)

So I have sort of a good mix, all of them have performed just fine.
The Seagate 750 was a replacement that was sent to me by Seagate
because I sent in a 500Gb for replacement and they didn't have any
500Gb replacements so they sent the 750Gb. therefore if you think that
you may need a replacement I would recommend Seagate. To get a drive
replaced by Seagate (Maxtor is now owned by Seagate) is to go to their
Warranty WEB page and check if your drive is still in warranty. If it
is still under warranty you just let them know know that you would
like it replaced. They will assign an RMA number, you send them the
drive at your expense, and as soon as they receive your drive they
will send you a replacement at their expense. A superior warranty
replacement service.

My main boot drive is the Samsung 500 and since it is pretty low cost
I would recommend that for your G4. It is not the fastest drive, so if
you need one for Gaming choose something else. Gaming drives will cost
you more than twice as much as most other drives.

Cheers

Harry
San Jose, Ca.