[G4] Power issues

Harry Freeman gifutiger at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 15:21:21 PST 2010

Greetings Robert

IIRC the G4 (all models) suffer from a power on/off switch problem.
Although my G4 is a 1999 AGP that started life as a 350Mhz and now is
a 1.2Ghz and my switch is still working fine. I guess because I almost
never use it unless the platform is complete powered down at which
time that is the only way to startup.

However this switch only activates a relay on the mother board that
changes the status of the power relay i.e. on/off.

I would suggest that you open your case and, using one of those
compressed air cans (you can get them at a lot of places like Office
Depot and others locations) rid your platform of all accumulated dust.
Dust in the power supply and on the mother board. I would also
recommend that after you shutdown the Mac that you let it cool down
for at least 15 mins. before using the compressed air.

And while you have it powered down that you depress the CUDA switch
and if you haven't replace the Pram Battery that it might be a good
time for replacement.

In addition I would recommend that you reset PRAM and the Open Firmware.

Cheers

Harry
ø?ºº?ø,¸¸,ø?ºº?ø,¸¸,ø?ºº?ø,¸¸,ø?º?ø