[G4] Spotlight Usage

Harry Freeman gifutiger at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 20:47:14 PDT 2010

Thanks for your reply, however, I am an old time Unix user therefore
I'm very familiar with this type of command.

I'm not having trouble getting "Spotlight" to index my drives, it's
after taking up to 20 hours to index the 750Gb drive if I unmount
(eject) the drive when it is remounted Spotlight no longer know what's
on the drive.

I use the "System Preferences~Spotlight~Privacy" to get indexing
started. First I use the "+" button and select the drive that I want
indexed, then use the "-" button to remove the drive from the privacy
list.

Then within a few minuets the "Spotlight" application will begin the
indexing.
When it is done, items that are contained on the drive can be found
using Spotlight,

However if the drive is ejected, when it is remounted the items and no
longer accessible for finding, using spotlight.

The drive that I'm referring to is a backup drive which I don't want
to keep mounted full time, but would like to find items using
Spotlight when mounted.

If this is normal I guess I'll have to live with it, but I would think
that spotlight should store the database index somewhere, therefore it
should be available for use.

Thanks again for your detailed answer

Here's what I found regarding mdutil
mdutil -- manage the metadata stores used by Spotlight

SYNOPSIS
    mdutil [-pEsav] [-i on | off] volume ...

DESCRIPTION
    The mdutil command is useful for managing the metadata stores for
mounted
    volumes.

    The following options are available:

    -p  Spotlight caches indexes of some network devices locally.  This
        option requests that a local caches be flushed to the
appropriate
        network device.

    -E  This flag will cause each local store for the volumes
indicated to be
        erased.  The stores will be rebuilt if appropriate.

    -i on | off
        Sets the indexing status for the provided volumes to on or
off.  Note
        that indexing may be delayed due to low disk space or other
condi-
        tions.

    -s  Display the indexing status of the listed volumes.

    -a  Apply command to all volumes.

    -v  Print verbose information when available.