[G4] Installing OSX 10.3 on a Powermac G4 quicksilver 800 (2002)

Alan Kidner akidner at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 15 14:01:53 PDT 2010

Hi Andrew

You need a retail copy of the OS.  The disks are normally black.  If
your disks are grey then they were probably were shipped with a
particular model of Mac and therefore will not work with your machine.

Have you tried booting from the original DVD as opposed to the backup
CDs you mention.  Your computer should have come with a drive capable of
reading DVDs when it was new.  If you have a retail copy of the OS and
the computer does not have a DVD then you should consider purchasing an
new DVD-RW drive, it will only set you back about £20 and will add
valuable functionality to your machine.

Hope this is helpful.