[G4] 1.25 MDD Power Suppy Replacement - Resolved

jonny g4 at salemoregon.com
Wed Mar 17 12:54:39 PDT 2010

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

I ordered a replacement power supply this afternoon.  $249 delivered.
Used.  90-day warranty.

Reasoning:  A new machine will not support OSX 3.9 which is
mission-critical as I do not want to replace or upgrade Adobe
Creative Suite 2.  And, I love the machine.  It has been wonderful,
and very, very reliable.  It's a dual boot FW 400 model, packed with
RAM with a Vortex fan on the CPU.

I took a chance on a used power supply; probably not the brightest
thing to do, but <hardcoremac> tests them to make sure they are
strong.  He said he's never had one come back during warranty.  The
alternative was spending an additional $100 for a refurbished unit,
with a 90-day warranty.  "Ya pays yer money, and ya takes yer
chances."

Thanks again for your perspectives.  Members of this list have been
very helpful over the years!  Interesting to read too.  I'm no expert
or technician, just a mac user whose first machine was an SE.  :-)

Cheers!

jonny

///