[G4] 1.25 MDD Hard Drive Replacement?

Ronnie Day ronnie.day at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 10:02:21 PDT 2010

> jonny

> As part of restoring function to my beloved FW400 MDD, I put the two 350 MB
> ATA hard drives in FW enclosures to boot with my old G4 450. That is how I
> am getting along until the MDD is back up and running.
>
> I would like to look into permanently replacing these two internal HD's in
> the MDD when I replace the power supply.
>
> SATA drives are, to my limited understanding, fast and the direction I
> should be looking.
>
> I'll need a SATA card to drive them.  I have one slot open.  Brand
> suggestion?
>
> Any suggestions (or limitations) on jumping into two SATA Hard Drives?
>  Seagate 500 MB SATA are $60 apiece, new.  Requesting wisdom. I'm in this
> for the long haul.  I love the MDD and if I can keep it running for another
> 10 years or longer, then I am happy.  :-)

This past weekend Fry's had Seagate 1 Terabyte SATA bare drives for
$77. Why not get the most bang for your dollars? I'd get a card from
Other World Computing along with one or two of their external
enclosures. If you want to maximize the life of you G4 I'd strongly
suggest not putting the HDs back inside. As we've all discovered the
power supply is a definite weak link in this box and you'd be well
served by doing as much as you can to limit the load on it.

FWIW,
Ron