[G4] new monitor

Fabian Fang ftf at mac.com
Thu May 27 05:51:42 PDT 2010

On May 27, 2010, at 3:29 AM, thekirkline1941 at verizon.net wrote:

> I am considering purchasing a new iMac. Reason: my monitor for my
> Quicksilver G4 (2002) is going. Rather than spend several hundred
> dollars for a new one, for $1070.00 I can buy a new 21.5 inch iMac.
> The old monitor is a Sony Trinitron CRT. My question is--what
> problems can I expect to encounter when I hook up the old G4 to the
> new iMac. The G4 is configured with the original 40 gig HD with 1.5
> gigs of RAM. I have installed two 500 gig HD's for storage. Each is
> partitioned into three sections. The OS for the G4 is Tiger version
> 10.4.11. Thanks.

I believe that, among the "Late 2009" iMacs, only the 27" models
support input from external DisplayPort sources (so they can be used
as an external display for another DisplayPort-equipped Mac):
<http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/imac-aluminum-faq/differences-between-imac-aluminum-late-2009-models.html

In any case your 2002 Quicksilver G4 is not DisplayPort-equipped.

Fabian