[G4] Leopard crashes

D V drteknik at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 6 09:30:26 PST 2011

List Members,

I, too, have problems with the upgrade to Leopard from Tiger.

G4 QS 867 running Mac OS 10.4.11, Mac OS 10.3.9, Mac OS 9.2.2

I put it down to the only drive (internal) I have is running off an 'ACARD'
PCI card. The installer goes through all the steps, then goes back to the
initial installer's dialog box.

Then there's the observation I had partitioned the HD into a couple of
partitions, so I could dual/triple/quadruple boot. Trying to reinstall Tiger
on its own partition after it failed was another excercise in frustration.

My Tiger partition failed to boot once (see above), so I had to run Panther
for a while, until I remembered I had a 'clone' of the Tiger partition. (I
booted up in Nein, and used the Mac OS 9.2.2 partition with Disk Copy 6.5b11
to make the backup, by chosing 'clone' from one of the Disk Copy menus).
Reinstalling that, I was able to use the Tiger partition again. So, I can,
by holding down the 'option' key at startup, boot into 9.2.2, Panther, or
Tiger.

One other thing I noticed, using the 'D' key to attempt to startup from the
first partition didn't work. It appears it only works on internal drives
directly connected to the motherboard, not a card. Same with the 'SMART
Reporter' app.

Probable solution: Look for an internal drive that is less than 120 GB, and
use it for the boot partition/volume. Keep all boot partitions on the
internal, and use the card-based drives for other stuff.

Note:
Tiger is just about the last Mac OS X supported by any decent amount of
software, so if I see an item that states it works in Tiger, or Mac OS X
10.4 and above, I download it if it looks like I may want to check it out
later. Did the same with both 68K and PPC classic stuff when that was still
available.

Then there's apps that will only run in Panther ... good thing I have a
couple of G3s I can use for them.

Cheers

--

D V
drteknik at earthlink.net

"If you understand, things are as just they should be. If you do not
understand, then things are just as they should be." (Zen proverb)