[G4] Stuck Zip Disk???

Skygram skygram at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 19:22:29 PST 2011

Kenn,

There are a few approaches to this problem. The first would be to try
Applejack if you feel confident enough to use it. It requires some thought
but it would probably be the answer. I am assuming that you haven't
re-installed the Mac OS. I hope you have the original disks as they can come
in handy. Using Applejack can be a shortcut instead of re-installing
everything from scratch.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/applejack/

The other product to consider is Disk Warrior. It is a retail product
similar in nature to Applejack and easier to use than Applejack but it costs
about $100US.

I have had a Zip disk snag occur a few times and this was how I resolved it.
However ultimately it could be a hardware problem. But I would try fixing
the software first.

I once owned a similar Mac G4-400 like yours. I loved it. I bought it in
1999 or 2000 and it just gave out last year and I rode it hard 24 hoyrs a
day for most of that time. I still have it hidden away in a closet because I
didn't have the heart to trash it.

Good luck,

Bill
Montreal