[G4] Stuck Zip Disk???

Alan Kidner akidner at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 13 04:17:02 PST 2011

Restarting with the mouse button held down has always worked for me.
But if you had to wiggle the disk before the light came on, may be there
is no power to the drive, in which case it will not eject.

I use the odd zip disk myself and was intrigued by Kenn's suggested
Terminal command.  After a little fiddling I found that this worked (at
least on a zip disk that has mounted in the normal way)

1) Find the details to use with the eject instruction:
        diskutil list

2) Eject the disk using the appropriate name established above:
        diskutil eject /dev/disk1

It might also be worth mentioning that there were several verities of
Zip disk.  I believe that the first and standard ones were 100MB, then
came 250MB and this was followed by the final incarnation that were even
bigger.  If for example you have a 100MB drive and you insert a 250MB
disk then it will not work!

Best regards