[G4] Stuck Zip Disk???

jonseward at mindspring.com jonseward at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 13 06:02:40 PST 2011

Hi Kenn,

[OT, I have new and used Zip discs I'd be happy to sell]

I had the same problem once, with a external SCSI Zip drive.  I found that there is a paperclip hole on the upper right of the rear face of the drive.  It worked, and I think my Zip cartridge had become corrupted and unreadable.

You will likely have to remove the drive from the Mac chassis to get access.

Your Iomega driver may be incompatible with your current OS.  Working from the install disk of the computer may be able to access the drive and execute an eject.  Or you might find and updated driver for the Zip drive from Versiontracker.com which may help.

Other recommendations to use Disk Utility (which is part of your Utilities folder in Applications) may be of help - but may only offer to erase and reformat the cartridge.  3rd party utilities like Disk Warrior and Tech Tool are also fantastic resources in general.

Unplugging the drive and making sure the power and data connections are solid is also a good thing to do.

I would save using pliers to pull the disk out of the drive for a last resort.  I'm not sure, but you might do damage to either the disk or the driver.

Good luck!

jon