[G4] PowerBook 3400c refuses to turn on

Fabian Fang ftfang at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 07:58:32 PST 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 7:13 AM, Jean-Luc Brousseau
<brousseaujeanluc at mac.com> wrote:

> I have a PowerBook 3400c that refuses to turn on. I checked the power supply
> that seems to be OK since I have voltage at the plug going to the computer.
> I checked the PRAM batteries that are rechargeable but that are at 0.5 volt
> instead of 7.2 volts. Maybe they are so low because they do not charge
> anymore. What is suppose to charge them? They are the original Varta
> batteries.
> I know that on some computers if the PRAM battery is dead, the computer does
> not start. Is it the case with the 3400c?
>  Only sound is a small click in the speakers when I plug in the power
> supply. Anyone can give me information about finding the problem of this
> computer refusing to start?

Your message is way off-topic for the G4 List, as the PowerBook 3400c
is nowhere near a G4 Mac.

In any case, the PowerBook 3400c Service Manual from Apple states:

Power

Note:  You will hear only the click of the power-on button when you
attempt to start up a computer that lacks sufficient power to start.

Computer won’t power up:

1 If sleep LED is continually on, backup battery power has been
interrupted. Restart computer by holding down reset actuator 10-20
seconds. If computer doesn’t restart, repeat 3–4 times.
2 Try known-good power adapter.
3 Try known-good, charged battery.
4 Connect power adapter and restart computer in 3–4 minutes.
5 Replace power supply board.
6 Replace logic board.

For further discussion you may wish to post to the LEM PowerBooks List:
<http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/powerbooks.shtml>, where many members
own the 3400c and similar PowerBooks.