[G4] G4 and Tiger and G4 for video editing and audio production

Todd Finnigan finnigantodd at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 13:13:19 PDT 2011

Alan, and also Mr. Nakamuras video questions...

I cant talk to the audio production side, but I used 2 G4 MDD 1.42 Macs until recently for my video editing business (Upgraded to a G5.. lol). I used Tiger, and it worked fine with Final Cut 5.1. I would max out the RAM in it for video, its not expensive. Don't have experience with audio production and memory. If you're looking at capturing video the camera will need to have a fire wire out port, I think firewire is build into most G4s. I think any brand of camera will work. Ive read the USB on the G4 is to slow for video capture, never tried it because of that.

Other - I tried upgrading my G4 past Tiger, but it was really slow, even with a maxed out Graphics card, the Geoforce 7800, a PC card flashed for Mac, supposedly the fastest card for the G4... so I went back to Tiger.

And you will want to stay away from HD video, impossibly slow on my G4 using Final Cut 5.1, stick with the older SD stuff till you get a G5 or better, in my experience.

$300 isn't necessarily a bad rate, especially if it includes the OSX Tiger CD, which I see goes now new for $159.00 On Amazon, so it probably does not include that. I would try have him put in more memory while hes at it for that rate if hes not giving you a CD, the memory will run 20-40 dollar, check out OWC on the Internet, they are great for Mac upgrades. If you cant find it locally, buy from them and have him put it in.

... this stuff can sometimes end up taking hours and hours to do, depending on what you run into, or even days, if he has problems. So if its a flat rate and it ends up taking him longer-its good for you.

Also I went a little crazy before upgrading to the G5, I added a SSD and Internal SATA drives to the G4, which took forever to go through 3 sets of SATA cards before getting ones that worked correctly, although it never seemed quite right, plus extra heat and strain on the G4, ....  (Used OWC online to buy everything, and they took everything back no questions asked... they are wonderful) so I wouldn't recommended that. However, the SSD, SATA drives and SATA cards all moved over fine to the g5, and worked fine there, smooth as glass.

And just FYI, part of the upgrade he will do includes the Tiger upgrades that came after the Tiger CD was released, and those can take a lot of time if you download them yourselves, so its not necessarily difficult once you know what you're doing, but its not a quick thing either...

Hope this helps,

Todd Finnigan
Honolulu Hawaii

than "Re: Contents of G4 digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1. Re: Hi Kristen, thanks for the help (K.Reitz)

Message: 1