[G4] Removing heat sink from Sonnet G4

Gary Sucher gsucher at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 19:33:05 PDT 2011

Has anyone done this before? I purchased a Sonnet G4 1.8gz MDX for my G4
single 1.25 MDD. It works fine but generates too much heat, even with the
built-in fan. I want to remove the heatsink and replace it with an Apple
copper one from a 1.45 G4 that I have but the Sonnet is screwed in in a
proprietary way. I contacted Sonnet but the guy just said they attached it
in such a way so customers won¹t remove it. Big help. Has anyone done such a
thing and can tell me what kind of tool I need?

Thanks,
Gary