[G4] Which Computer is Best?

Alan Kidner akidner at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 6 11:00:52 PDT 2011

I am currently running a Power Mac G4 (FW 800) but have recently been
given a Power Mac G5.After initial excitement at the prospect of a newer
and better computer I am now wondering if swapping would really be an
advantage.The G4 has a 1.25GHz duel core processor while the G5 only has
a single core processor at 1.6GHz. Which is the best computer?

Benchmarks posted at http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/mac-benchmarks
suggest that the G4 is better with a score of 1082 compared with the G5
at 918.Is this the end of the story or are there other factors I should
consider?

Is there any free software I could use to benchmark these machines for
myself?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.