[G4] Which Computer is Best?

kristen kristen at atmyhome.org
Mon Jun 6 20:33:33 PDT 2011

On Monday 06 June 2011 17:22:35 Robert Pearson wrote:
> The problem here is that score is reflecting the OS, which takes advantage
> of multiple processors. Some apps do, some don't. Those that do may run
> faster on the G4. However, the G5 has a much larger data bus (900 vs the
> FW800's 133), which means many apps that don't use both processors will
> definitely run faster on it. Plus the G5 has a 1.5 gb SATA bus instead of
> an ATA bus. That mean the hard drive has a wider, faster data path, and it
> can handle larger, more modern hard drives. As far as I know, that makes a
> big difference in speed. Not to mention SATA's easier to deal wit than
> ATA.
>
> My advice is to get MacTracker, find your two computers, and compare all
> the differences, not just the processors.

	I feel it's an important point which many have brought up about the hard
drives. The SATA's are much faster. As pointed out above it takes a mother
board with the faster bus to support any gains expected by utilizing a SATA
drive.

	To make the point about hard drives. I have replaced the hard drives in
our iMac and MacBook both. The speed improvement of the computers as a whole
validates replacing the stock 5400 rpm for 7200 rpm drives. I especially liked
the performance found on the MacBook due to Seagates Momentus XT SATA drive.
It's an SSD combo with 32Mb cache. You just can't get this with an ATA drive

Kristen