[G4] Hard drive upgrade options?

K.Reitz kristen at atmyhome.org
Thu Sep 15 21:25:05 PDT 2011

On Sep 13, 2011, at 12:44 PM, KReitz wrote:

> I am consider options to speeding up my Gigabit G4 MMD. (Mystic) While I waiting for bidding to end on a dual processor I found though eBay, I am looking at my hard drive situation. Right now I have the stock ATA-66 drive on the 100Mhz mother board. I am evaluation drive options and looking for some input.
>
> Can I add SATA I or II? Do you even get the benefit?
> Can I add a RAID controller (or 2) and run dual SATA's as RAID 1?
> Can an SSD drive for the OS and a SATA or PATA drive be added for the data?
>
> Has anyone tried these solutions with success?
>
> Kristen

Has anyone tried an ACARD 6890M found at

 http://www.acard.com.tw/english/fb01-product.jsp?idno_no=125&prod_no=AEC-6890M&type1_title=Adapters&type1_idno=3

The specs state it's a dual channel SATA RAID card offering RAID 1 mode. I would like to know how well this card might work out

Kristen

PS
Dual 1.6Ghz processors are on their way. I can't wait to get this G4 running at it's best