[G4] Moutain Lion and MS Office Mac

Kristen R kristen at atmyhome.org
Mon Aug 6 14:06:14 PDT 2012

On Aug 5, 2012, at 11:35 AM, Gene Steinberg wrote:

> That doesn't make sense. Office 2004 is not an Intel app, and Rosetta, the PowerPC translation software, doesn't work under Lion or Mountain Lion.
>
> Please explain.
>
> Peace,
> Gene

The link provided states:

"	• Office for Mac 2004 will not run on Lion.
Note: Previous MacOS versions supported Rosetta, an Apple Mac OSX bridge technology that enabled applications such as Office for Mac 2004 to run on the latest chip architecture for Mac. Because Lion no longer supports Rosetta, applications that relied on it will no longer function under the new MacOS."

It says Office 2004 will not run on Lion

It also states that Office is supported through Rosetta which is a software bridge that allows PowerPC applications to run on Intel processors. But Rosetta has been dropped from Lion so that bridge is not gone.

Having never used or owned Office 2004 I wouldn't know other then what I have read. So how then are you running Office 2004 on Lion? Is it really working? According to Microsoft it's not working and your not using it on a Lion install. Maybe you have an Office 2008 version instead? Maybe it appears to be functional but is really broken and Microsoft isn't going to support it.

I do have Office 2008 which runs on my Intel and PowerPC Mac's. Although I very seldom use it and I really don't know what I am doing with it.  But when it opens it appears to function

Kristen