[G4] Introduction and question

Darryl Jones antique280 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 21 05:06:08 PST 2012

G4 Quicksilver 2002 here, with 1.5GB RAM, GeForce 4600Ti graphics, and
dual Sonnet Encore processors. Running 10.5.8 and 10.3.9 to support my
old ProTools hardware. I recently found a lot of software which should
keep it alive for a while longer....a new browser based on the current
Firefox, but it doesn't do plugins, Mactubes for Youtube watching,
OpenOffice, and even a current version of Skype. There are also some
sites I go to that need plugins, and they have PPC versions, for now
at least. If only there was a new Flash or someone knows a way to
spoof the flash version number in OS X, a trick I've done on Micro$oft
systems in the past?

Which brings me to my question. I spoof the browser and hardware
version in Firefox. I can get to, without any nags or warnings, the
Netflix streaming site, but when it gets to actually playing a movie,
it tells me I need to upgrade Silverlight. I have the last Silverlight
that was supported for PPC. My question is, does anyone know of a way
to spoof the version number of Silverlight?

For those interested, my browser string which lets me access sites
that normally give upgrade/error warnings about unsupported browsers
and hardware, is:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:9.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/9.0

Thanks,
Darryl