[G4] Introduction and question

Kristen R kristen at atmyhome.org
Tue Feb 21 15:13:04 PST 2012

On Feb 21, 2012, at 4:06 AM, Darryl Jones wrote:

> G4 Quicksilver 2002 here, with 1.5GB RAM, GeForce 4600Ti graphics, and dual Sonnet Encore processors. Running 10.5.8 and 10.3.9 to support my old ProTools hardware. I recently found a lot of software which should keep it alive for a while longer....a new browser based on the current Firefox, but it doesn't do plugins, Mactubes for Youtube watching, OpenOffice, and even a current version of Skype. There are also some sites I go to that need plugins, and they have PPC versions, for now at least. If only there was a new Flash or someone knows a way to spoof the flash version number in OS X, a trick I've done on Micro$oft systems in the past?
>
> Which brings me to my question. I spoof the browser and hardware version in Firefox. I can get to, without any nags or warnings, the Netflix streaming site, but when it gets to actually playing a movie, it tells me I need to upgrade Silverlight. I have the last Silverlight that was supported for PPC. My question is, does anyone know of a way to spoof the version number of Silverlight?
>
> For those interested, my browser string which lets me access sites that normally give upgrade/error warnings about unsupported browsers and hardware, is:
>
> Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:9.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0
>
> Thanks,
> Darryl

Darryl,

	Not that I have the answer to all of your questions but I find myself in a similar situation since I'm running an older G4 Mystic. While TenFourFox states they do not support Flash with their browser and their not going to and blah,blah. If your enter in the address bar 'about:config' and then say 'yes, I'll be careful' to the warning page, you will enter the configuration database for FireFox. In those configurations locate the parts about FireFox and Flash and simply enable the boolean (set to true). And Flash will work just fine. I am using flash version 10.1 as provided by Adobe. With no problems or warnings. The thing is I haven't tried going to Netflix but this works with youtube.com and espn.com just fine. There are many other configuration settings you might like to peruse as well. TenForFox is still heavy on my computer so when I desire something a bit more lightweight I might use Camino. It lacks all the nice add-on's but loads quicker. Of course Safari always works out well, less the desired add-ons I get with FireFox. I did do a short personal trial and stream video from espn.com using TenFourFox, Camino, and Safari. It's interesting but TenFourFox did out preform the other two slightly. While Camino and Safari seemed the same.

	Speaking of flash, there is a GNU Linux project called Nash which is a software alternative to Adobe's Flash. It really isn't always successful on Linux but there is a port to OS X. I haven't tried that port since Adobe's Flash seems to work well for my needs. I toss that out there should you wish to investigate Nash and give it a try. If you do I would love to hear what your experience is.

	Since Sun sold OpenOffice to Oracle and now Oracle wishes to provide the base for free with future plans of selling any enhancements, I have dropped OpenOffice. I have followed the developers who did the same and now run the most current version of LibreOffice. That project is under current development whereas OpenOffice, as I understand it is not.

I am no help to you with Silverlight. It's Microsoft stuff and thus does not belong (my strong bias). Tell the website your visiting that you will not utilize them until they rid themselves of Silverlight. I don't hesitate to email the webmaster and let them know my thoughts about such interfaces. Sometimes they actually care. But that's me.

Kristen