[G4] upgrade to Leopard

John Smutko smutt235 at mac.com
Thu Feb 23 10:45:48 PST 2012

> My machine is a Quicksilver 2002 running Tiger. I am very happy with its performance overall. Although the apps I use might be considered outdated--Photoshop 7, Indesign 2, Finale 2008--they work just fine for my needs. However, the browsers I use, Safari and Mozilla Firefox, cannot be updated and I get a lot of messages saying I am using a browser that is not supported. Question: (two fold) how difficult would it be to upgrade my machine to Leopard and, will it make that much difference in terms of compatibility? Thanks.
>
> Jim Scarborough Kirk

Jim Kirk?  Really?  Awesome.

Have you done any upgrades on the Quicksilver?  Leopard is certainly possible on a Quicksilver, I have one sitting under my desk right now.  Depending on your processor (800 vs. 933 MHz) you may not have to do any upgrades.  Minimum specs for Leopard are here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3759?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

To get the full benefit I'd upgrade your processor and probably the video card as well, here's what mine looks like:

1.8 GHz processor
1.5GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500
USB 2.0 Upgrade Card