[G4] upgrade to Leopard

Kristen R kristen at atmyhome.org
Thu Feb 23 12:37:58 PST 2012

On Feb 23, 2012, at 10:21 AM, Geoffrey Peters wrote:

> As scandalous as this may sound, it may be well worth having a Windows machine around for your internet duties; even a simple Windows XP machine of a vintage similar to your Quicksilver can be kept up to date with the insane demands of today's web.
>
> On top of that, Leopard is rapidly falling behind in the compatibility stakes now that Lion is here; it won't be long before it too (along with PowerPC machines as a whole) shall be considered too old for even the most basic web functionality. Chrome was Intel-only for OSX from the beginning; Firefox too is now solely an Intel-only application. Adobe Flash dropped PowerPC support just after v10.1, with many Flash-content sites now demanding Flash 11. It seems somewhat ironic that Flash 11 still runs poorly on all but the most powerful of this year's Intel-based Macs, yet machines that pre-date the turn of the millenium can still play Flash 11 videos smoothyl.
>
> Don't bother upgrading to Leopard, it will cause MANY more headaches than you think it may cure.
>

> Geoffrey
>
> -- Sent from my G3 running Mac OS 8.6

I wrote a reply to this but I find that I ranted more then what would have helped the OP out. Like your post, mine would have done nothing to assist either the list nor the guy with the Quicksilver.

	I find it aggravating that you would promote XP on vintage PC hardware superior to PPC computing today. And that an upgrade to Leopard is a disastrous move. I love my older PPC which runs Leopard perfectly. I say perfectly because it has no problems at all and Leopard's functionality is complete. My PPC is older then the OP's Quicksilver too.

If you wish to have your PPC up with the times, install Linux. Linus Torvald has developed the Linux kernel on a G5 and maintains the PPC kernel source tree. There are options if you don't like the stagnate state OS X and PPC's find themselves in. Trash cans and Microsoft Windows are not always the answer

Kristen