[G4] Browser unsupported

D V drteknik at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 27 07:50:00 PST 2012

G4 list,

To address the 'Your browser is not supported' crap, try spoofing another
browser. I use iCab. If, after that, your browser is still rejected when you
return, just don't visit that site and tell all your friends to avoid it too
because the webmaster refuses to accept and use compatibility standards.

Zing the webmaster this info (presuming you can find an eMail address for
the webmaster to send it to):

- - - - - - X%- - - - - - X% [CUT HERE] - - - - - - X%- - - - - - X%

"I understand some older browsers have security issues, but each and every
browser I tried that was rejected by your site was SSH compliant, and was
able to access my secure medical web page with no difficulties. The medical
standards for security are put forth in the HIPAA Title II's "Security Rule"
legislation. See below URL for clarification:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_Insurance_Portability_and_Accountabilit
y_Act>

If you wish to let me continue to access my online <secure> account, please
adhere to the web standards that allow any (reasonably secure) browser to
access your pages. Otherwise, I shall have to elevate this criticism to an
official complaint, and tell all my friends about it too.

And please check out this URL too: <http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/>

Thank you for your time, and I hope this lets you know that making a
browser, any sufficiently secure browser, able to navigate your pages
completely is not impossible, it just takes a bit more research, work and
standards compliance."

- - - - - - X%- - - - - - X% [CUT HERE] - - - - - - X%- - - - - - X%

That said, most of the sites I visit *daily* are accessed using Namaroka
3.6.24, a version of Firefox especially compiled (optimized) for my G4
PowerPC 7450 867 MHz running Tiger (I need to use Classic a lot). There are
other versions of Mozilla code for various PPC chips, Camino, Firefox,
Thunderbird, SeaMonkey:

http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk/builds/

I presume you are NOT using this older stuff in any serious context, but
just using a G4 as either a hobby or pastime "An activity that occupies
one's spare time pleasantly."

If access to the web is necessary for any reason, the web is unforgiving.
You *will* have to upgrade to later hardware and later software.

Cheers

--

D V
drteknik at earthlink.net

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - Bertrand Russell