[G4] G4 Boot Time

Kristen R kristen at atmyhome.org
Sat Jan 21 14:09:52 PST 2012

On Jan 20, 2012, at 5:09 PM, Mikey wrote:

> Folks, hopefully someone out there has hasd the same problem and give me some options:
>
> MY G4, Dual 1 Gig  MDD Machine takes like 7 minutes to boot into OSX.  I have maxed out the memory, so it isnt that. I know this taking much longer than it should. Any ideas on what i can look at to speed it up?
>
> many thanks!

My old 2001 G4 takes 1 minute to load, it has dual1.6GHz processors and 1.5GB memory. I do tap out the processors but I have never exhausted the memory, even when using Aperture.  Right now I am working on some of the following solutions to help speed up program execution times. These are some standard ways to increase performance.

	Upgrade ATA interface if not already an ATA-133. You can try an SATA interface but so far I have bad results from this
	Tossing the old 5400 RPM drives and installing 7200 RPM drives instead
	Running two drives instead of one in RAID 0 mode (requires a RAID controller card installed)
	Reloading the OS from scratch and then install your programs, followed by user data from a backup

If you find a solution which works for you, would you post to the list for the benefit of others?

Kristen

Protect your privacy and mine too.
Use PGP to sign your mail

http://www.gnupg.org/