[G4] MDD Snafu - Question #3 - Restore OSX 10.3.9 ?

Jon oregon5949 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 10:54:56 PDT 2013

Hello, again...and thank you for your help.

I'm still digging my way out of a mess I created.  Next question, if you please:

Now using a G4 450 with a 1.25 ghz after market processor, 1.25 GB
ram, OSX 10.3.9.  It runs clean and strong.  Two internal hard drives
of about 100 GB each, one with OSX 10.3.9 on it and bootable.

Currently I am booting from a 300 GB FW400 drive.  iPhoto images and
email work fine on it and are backed up.

Q: I have a 1 TB Lacie hard drive (700/300) I want to use with this
machine.  It worked fine with  the MDD until I installed OSX 10.4.5
and then OSX 10.5.8 on top of that.  And it won't boot.  The data is
fine...just the system appears to be the problem.

I noticed that there is a "previous system" (several actually) on this drive.

Is there a way I can go backwards and find myself booting to the
original 10.3.9 that was on this drive (and worked with the MDD)?  Is
it hidden as a previous system and restorable?

Or, can I re-install 10.3.9 on the drive without wiping out my data
files, preferences, permissions, etc. that reside there?  I would love
to turn back the clock and use this drive and data as my boot drive to
the G4 450 with the original 10.3.9 system...  Possible?

Right now I am maxed-out on the two 300 GB drives I am using for boot
& backup.  I am okay for the moment, but will need a better drive
system soon that will work with 10.3.9 and this G4 450 w/ processor.

Thank you for your suggestions.

jonny