[G5] Re: Helloooo any life on this planet

Steven Wood sdw7 at nc.rr.com
Wed Nov 24 00:04:39 PST 2004

<Just wondering if anyone has a G5 and what you think.>

Alive and well, and enjoying the speed (and looks, and quiet) of my
Dual 2.0 G5 that I got in August, now running on 10.3.6 with 1 GB RAM.
It is frankly more power than I need (hope my wife doesn't see this!)
but I only buy a Mac about every 5 years--and the old B&W G3 was
starting to limp a bit. The new beast (it IS bigger) fit right in to my
wired/wireless network with an old laser printer and a new inkjet--no
problems at all. All my applications work well, and faster, although I
am not a power user--no PhotoShop, for example. I have gotten very used
to a two-button/scrollwheel mouse, so I kept my Logitech Optical
Mouse--no driver required, it just works.

My current frustration is with...Microsoft. I do have one
mission-critical app that is Windows-only, so I got VirtualPC, which
barely ran on the G3--and couldn't run on the G5 until they issued new
version 7.0. Well, they are shipping the full 7.0 package, but have not
even given a date for the upgrade package I need. Do you think I am
being punished for being a previous customer?!

Oh, well, I never expect favors from Gates & Company.

Steve in Raleigh