[G5] contemplating upgrade to G5 dual 1.8ghz, comments?

B Yen byen00 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 3 19:30:47 PST 2005

Hi:

I'm contemplating getting a dual G5 1.8ghz.  The Unitek salesman told me
this machine is the *best* value.  It will go down in price, after
announcements this upcoming MacWorld (the 11th?).  How long should I
wait?  Or, is it safe to buy right after the announcement?  (I would
have to have it bought via phone, & shipped express to my remote
location by Jan. 13)

I bought my G4/667 back in Aug. 2001.  I have barely utilized its
capabilities so far.  (although I do use it DAILY, so it gets heavy
use).  I'm still on OS9.2.2, if you can believe that!!  (it's hard to
break old habits..most of my software is OS9 classic).  I haven't tried
OS X, but I hear it's quite stable & productive platform..

My local Apple dealer (Unitek, great customer service) told me people
usually upgrade every 3 years.  So, it's getting to be about that "3
year itch".  I do a lot of Photoshop (big files), & am beginning to get
serious into video-editing.  I believe these 2 reason are valid enough,
to upgrade to a dual 1.8g G5.  (faster video rendering.  I was sitting
here, WASTING TIME recently, trying to cut some short videos, since the
rendering was taking FOREVER!!)

I'd appreciate any comments by users on this G4 list, as to WHY & WHEN
to upgrade to a dual G5.  My Unitek salesman told me to expect a
significant drop in the dual G5's after the upcoming MacWorld on the
11th.

Another reason to upgrade, is to get the Superdrives, so I can do DVD
authoring (it comes with the authoring software).  If I tried to upgrade
my G4 (no superdrive or authoring software), I'd be looking at a
significant $$ investment.  I figure I pay a little more for a complete
G5 (with drive & software), & that's a better buy..

Just as example, I did the following page using my G4:

http://www.seeleyracing.com/geiser/main.html

(videos were done with iMovie, pics were done with Photoshop).  Those
movies have those "copyright subtitles" rendering into the
frames..that's what was causing the HUGE WAIT TIMES for me..  I suppose
iMovie has dual  processor optimization enabled..correct?

I'd appreciate any comments by users with video-editing "bent", &
Photoshop "bent".  How much memory do I REALLY need?  The G5's can go up
to 2.5g memory (?).

Maybe I just hang onto the G4/667 a bit longer.  What is the best time
to buy a desktop Mac, given the 2 Macworld events?

I just realized something.  I don't have Photoshop for OS X.  (unless, I
can get it for dirt cheap like $50 at those clearout websites..
assuming those are OS X versions).  So, maybe I oughta just continue on
a bit more with the G4/667.  I hung on with my 8500/120 (was G4
accelerated) from 1995-2001 (6 years!), until I finally got the G4/667
in Aug 2001 (blowout deal).  Maybe I should wait for Aug. 2005, for a
blowout deal on a G5 dual.