[G5] contemplating upgrade to G5 dual 1.8ghz, comments?

Geoffrey Loeffler geoffrey at alaska.net
Sun Jan 9 01:44:57 PST 2005

On Jan 3, 2005, at 7:30 PM, B Yen wrote:

> Hi:
>

> I'm contemplating getting a dual G5 1.8ghz.  The Unitek salesman told
> me
> this machine is the *best* value.
They usually have their reasons for pushing a certain machine if you
come in and ask what should I buy.

> It will go down in price, after
> announcements this upcoming MacWorld (the 11th?).  How long should I
> wait?  Or, is it safe to buy right after the announcement?  (I would
> have to have it bought via phone, & shipped express to my remote
> location by Jan. 13)
Prices will drop as new equipment comes out, don't expect 50% 40 or 30
or 20

> I bought my G4/667 back in Aug. 2001.  I have barely utilized its
> capabilities so far.  (although I do use it DAILY, so it gets heavy
> use).  I'm still on OS9.2.2, if you can believe that!!
ne Nothing wrong with OS 9.2.2, it still works as well as when it was
the top of the crop. However time Marches on and this next release of X
will be the one we hoped for 3 years ago.

> (it's hard to
> break old habits..most of my software is OS9 classic).  I haven't tried
> OS X, but I hear it's quite stable & productive platform..
Well X will run your older classic programs and it is getting a lot
better, Panther has been stable but still a lot of work arounds but
that comes with any OS. I look forward to Tiger.

> My local Apple dealer (Unitek, great customer service) told me people
> usually upgrade every 3 years.
Thats a blank statement, you upgrade when you need to, these are not
wintel trash, if the machine does the work you need in a reasonable
amount of time why upgrade.

> So, it's getting to be about that "3
> year itch".  I do a lot of Photoshop (big files), & am beginning to get
> serious into video-editing.  I believe these 2 reason are valid enough,
> to upgrade to a dual 1.8g G5.  (faster video rendering.  I was sitting
> here, WASTING TIME recently, trying to cut some short videos, since the
> rendering was taking FOREVER!!)
That is a reasonable reason to upgrade, now what you have to do is
research which G5 you really need, do not take just the salesman's
comments, maybe, but dig into the Mac info, there is a lot out facts to
consider as you want to try and make this purchase last as long as
possible. Unless money is not a consideration

> I'd appreciate any comments by users on this G4 list, as to WHY & WHEN
> to upgrade to a dual G5.  My Unitek salesman told me to expect a
> significant drop in the dual G5's after the upcoming MacWorld on the
> 11th.
Significant drops, that would be surprising, check the refurbs prices,
it's on the Mac Store Home page on the bottom is a red tag, says sales.
These are Refurb Macs, check the price drop for a refurb, it's not much
at this point with the dual G5. Its an indicator of roughly where the
price may go in the next quarter. It's also a good place to buy a good
machine at a reduced price.

> Maybe I just hang onto the G4/667 a bit longer.  What is the best time
> to buy a desktop Mac, given the 2 Macworld events?
When you need it.

> I just realized something.  I don't have Photoshop for OS X.  (unless,
> can get it for dirt cheap like $50 at those clearout websites..
> assuming those are OS X versions).
As said before, not likely and yes there is a X version of P.S.

> So, maybe I oughta just continue on
> a bit more with the G4/667.  I hung on with my 8500/120 (was G4
> accelerated) from 1995-2001 (6 years!), until I finally got the G4/667
> in Aug 2001 (blowout deal).  Maybe I should wait for Aug. 2005, for a
> blowout deal on a G5 dual.

IMHO it will be a little later then the summer of 05 before prices hit
"blowout levels" on dual G5s, although compared to what you paid for
your 8500 in 1995, the dual G5 is already a great deal.
Do some math and if it adds up buy it
GSL