[G5] My problems!

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 25 21:54:10 PDT 2007

Sorry to hear that you had so many problems.  But from your posts it
looks as if Apple is trying to solve it for you and are honoring the
warantee.  I cannot feel you have had a bad shake from the company
through any fault in particular.

On the other hand a lemon is a lemon - still shrinks your face when you
drink too deep.  I hope they replace it for you - they have certainly
spent the value of the computer on parts already in the repair
attempts.  Point that out, and suggest your confidence has been eroded
completely and that is reason enough replace the computer.  'Suggest'
means drive your point hard at them in a very nice way.

I had an ipod go bad and they replaced it for me - i didn't even have
to beg.

My imac G5 (first version) had the motherboard fail as had been
advertised and all those warantees had been extended to 3 years as a
known flaw.  they replaced the board and then the power supply took out
the new board with it.  So they did the MB and PS both.  Solid as a
rock since then (2 years).  Apparently the first board failure stressed
the power supply enough that the new board killed it and as the PS died
the power fluxuation burnt the new MB - smells a bit like plastic
burning.  Your computer could be suffering under these circumstances
too. (one failure weakens other parts).

I have found Apple stands behind their products and does not jerk me
about too badly.  I also found that they have a set of policies to
follow and if you talk to them at an Apple Store they will disclose
some of the process to you.  Obviously Apple Autherised peaple will
vary depending ...  and may not have the same abilities as an Apple
Store.

Last thing to say - If I lose confidence in a computer I sell it and
purchase another.  It may work perfectly for someone else - or not.
But it is not mine to deal with after that.  If you sell it transfer
the Apple Care with it for the next guy.  I did this with my Cube and 2
years later I diagnosed my problem - there had been a small flaw in an
OS update that affected only my particular cube configeration.  The
Cube worked flawlessly with a newer or older version of the OS so the
new owner had zero issues.

Good Luck to you.

jj