[G5] compare

Tim Collier tim_collier at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 8 09:03:58 PDT 2007

On Sep 8, 2007, at 10:19 AM, Jerry Bunn wrote:

> Im curious.  Im running a dual 2.5 Ghz PowerPC G5 with 1 GB memory.
>
> Im considering moving to a new iMac, either the 2.4 or 2.8 Ghz
> Intel Core Duo model.  Would I see a huge increase in speed or am I
> better off waiting?   Is there a link to a sight that will allow me
> to compare?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jerry

Well, I can give you my personal experience.  My last Desktop Mac was
a dual 2 gig G5 with 4 gig of RAM.  I upgraded to a Mac Pro and gave
the G5 to my partner to use.  He had been using a dual 1 gig G4 and
really appreciated the increase in speed and power.  As soon as the
latest 24 inch 2.4 gig Core 2 Duo iMacs came out we decided to
upgrade.  We gave the G5 to a relative and my partner is now using
the iMac.  We upped it to 2 gig of RAM and it came with a 320 gig
Hard Drive.  The increase in speed is tremendous.  It's able to keep
up with my Mac Pro which is a 2.66 quad core.  So, we have absolutely
no regrets about the upgrade.  Even better, it was the last hold out
as far as our wireless network.  The G5 was only able to use the b/g
protocol.  Now we are 100% n.
So, I whole-heartedly recommend upgrading to an Intel Mac.  They're
just simply faster than even the fastest G5's were.  But, do upgrade
the RAM from the 1 gig that it comes with to 2 gig.  There is only 1
RAM stick in it and all you have to get is another 1 gig stick (I
bought mine at the Apple Store at the time of purchase).  Also,
always invest in AppleCare.
--
Tim Collier
MacBook Pro 2.33 gig