[G5] compare

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sat Sep 8 10:43:10 PDT 2007

At 10:19 AM -0400 9/8/07, Jerry Bunn wrote:
>Im curious.  Im running a dual 2.5 Ghz PowerPC G5 with 1 GB memory.
>
>Im considering moving to a new iMac, either the 2.4 or 2.8 Ghz Intel
>Core Duo model.  Would I see a huge increase in speed or am I better
>off waiting?   Is there a link to a sight that will allow me to
>compare?

One thing that will effect the speed is what software you're running,
do you have Universal binaries, or just PPC versions.  Something
cheap you could do to speed up the G5 is to add more RAM.  I can't
imaging running only 1Gb.  I'm currently running with 5.5Gb.

My wife has a 2Ghz MacBook with 2Gb RAM, and it seems plenty fast,
same with the 17" MacBook Pro's I've setup for a couple people.  Even
the new Mac Mini is likely to be faster than your dual 2.5Ghz G5, I
know it is faster than my G5 2x2.  The Core 2 Duo's are really nice
CPU's.

Zane