[G5] G5 June 2004 dual 2.0 Processor problem

Eric Volker ebv1 at charter.net
Mon Sep 22 23:58:09 PDT 2008

On Sep 22, 2008, at 10:53 PM, Andrew J. Yon III wrote:

> Thanks Eric (and by the way, the others who have responded so far)
> for reminding me of the temperature side of this issue. It is the
> one issue that is really driving me nuts. I purchased iStat
> application version 2.0 and Hardware Monitor application 4.5.1 .
> Both are very good temperature (and other readings) monitoring
> applications. They both appear to be giving normal readings right up
> until it freezes. Oddly enough though there are slight variances in
> the values of the readings that they each give. Istat's readings are
> always slightly lower than HM's.
>

> 76.6℃/169.9℉
> Memory Controller Heatsink

This is the only value that really jumps out at me. That is a very
high temperature and may be part of the problem. When I get a chance,
I'll have to compare the values on my G5. Correction: it also seems
odd that the fans for CPU B are rotating at half the speed of CPU A's
fans even though the temp is the same.

As for the logs, it's hard to be precise. You're basically looking for
errors and warnings. Go into Applications/Utilities, and open Console.
Under "Log Database Queries" look at "All Messages" and see if
anything jumps out at you.

Eric