[G5] G5 June 2004 dual 2.0 Processor problem

Andrew J. Yon III ayon3rd at mac.com
Mon Sep 22 20:53:06 PDT 2008

> On Sep 22, 2008, at 8:01 PM, Eric Volker wrote:
>
> One possible problem may be the temperature sensors and/or
> overheating. When you lock up, are you running intensive tasks, or
> does it just happen at random? You've obviously opened it up; is
> there a lot of dust on the inside of the G5 or in the power supply?
> Have you looked at your system logs to see if there might be a clue
> in there? I'd also try running a temperature monitoring program and
> see if temperatures are getting unusually high in the processors.
> Just a few suggestions...
>
> Eric

Thanks Eric (and by the way, the others who have responded so far) for
reminding me of the temperature side of this issue. It is the one
issue that is really driving me nuts. I purchased iStat application
version 2.0 and Hardware Monitor application 4.5.1 . Both are very
good temperature (and other readings) monitoring applications. They
both appear to be giving normal readings right up until it freezes.
Oddly enough though there are slight variances in the values of the
readings that they each give. Istat's readings are always slightly
lower than HM's.

Here are the present readings from HM :

_______________________________
__________________________________
1.5430
                                                                                         1.5430
CPU A
Voltage
                                                                              CPU
  B Voltage

6.64
                                                                                             6.74
Processor Card A 12V Supply Current
Processor Card B 12V Supply Current

38.09
                                                                                           38.33
CPU A
Current
                                                                              CPU
  B Current

57.6℃/
135.7
℉
                                                                             57.8
℃/136.1℉
CPU A Die
Temperature
CPU B Die Temperature

1008
RPM
                                                                                     545
  RPM
CPU A Intake
Fan
                                                                        CPU
  B Intake Fan

1040
RPM
                                                                                     562
  RPM
CPU A Exhaust
Fan
CPU B Exhaust Fan

22.5℃/
72.5
℉
                                                                              23.0
℃/73.4℉
Processor Card A
Ambient                                                      Processor
Card B Ambient

28.5℃/
83.3
℉
                                                                             1000
  RPM
Drive
Bay
                                                                                     Drive
  Bay

49.6℃/
121.3
℉
                                                                          20.0
  %
Main Logic Board
Backside                                                   Main Logic
Board Backside

76.6℃/169.9℉
Memory Controller Heatsink

42.0℃/
107.6
℉
                                                                         42.0
℃/107.6℉
SMART Disk ST3160023AS (3JS0ZAGT)                         SMART Disk
ST3160023AS (3JS300S7)

29.0 %
PCI Slot Fan

It does not seem to make any difference whether or not I am using
intensive applications or just surfing the net or reading emails, this
problem seems random.

I am not efficient at reading the system logs. Where would you suggest
looking for information in the logs ?

Andy3