[G5] Love that G5 (Was: Re: G5 Digest, Vol 67, Issue 1)

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu Sep 24 09:38:27 PDT 2009

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, J. R. Rosen wrote:

> Zane, Jon or Joel I am looking for a dual G5 here in the near future.  I'm
> like you Zane, I need Classic mode and am stuck in X.4.11 on a G5.
>
> Right now I'm on a dual G4 1gHz Quicksilver that's getting long-in-the-tooth.
> It's trying to kernel panic and freeze all the time, but I'm fighting against
> it - for now!  However, it has been an awesome machine, and at 7 years young,
> it's a great machine.
>
> Yesiree-bob, the G5 dual 2.3 is looking pretty good in the very near future!

How CPU intensive are your classic needs?  I'm seriously considering
breaking out either my 8500/180 or my G4/450 when I move to a Mac Pro.  For
me the 8500 has real merit since I can load System 7.6 on it.  That means it
will run *ALL* the classic software I might want to run with one possible
exception (eXodus X-Windows client).  A lot of my software never made the
move to the G4, let alone the G5.

Also if your classic software runs on 68k based hardware take a look at
Basilisk II.  I'm told it's better than Sheepshaver (though Sheepshaver will
handle PPC apps).

Zane