[HomeMac] Inexpensive digital camera

Charles Turner turnercl at missouri.edu
Wed Dec 11 19:26:10 PST 2002

A few weeks ago on one of the Mac oriented lists that I read (this one
perhaps) there was some discussion about low end digital cameras,
something suitable for a gift to a young person. That gave me a
Christmas present idea.

After a bit of research, surfing and looking for product reviews and
owners comments, I decided to buy a Fuji FinePix A101. This is a basic
1.3M-pixel non zoom automatic camera that uses SmartMedia storage and
connects to a computer via USB. The picture format can be 1280x960 or
640x480, saved as a JPG in "fine, normal, or basic" compression. It
uses two AA batteries and has an optical view finder plus a 1.6 in. LCD
screen which may be turned on or off.

It also has a full motion video mode for use as a web cam but this,
unfortunately, is only supported by PC software.

For my OS 10.2 and conventional still pictures I just plugged the
camera's USB cable into my keyboard and a new drive appeared
representing the memory card in the camera. I just drag//dropped the
pictures over to another folder and then deleted them from the camera.
For OS9  USB extensions are supplied; I haven't booted OS9 and tried
these yet.

So far the pictures I've taken have all come out OK. The automatic
flash and exposure setting seems to get it right.

Here's a review: <http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/a101.html>