[HM] Pro Mouse

Nevin Steindam thenevin at ameritech.net
Thu Dec 12 10:35:40 PST 2002

>My Pro Mouse appears to be terminal.  In the back of my mind a lurking
>suspicion that I have read about many problems with these devices.  Before I
>replace a Pro Mouse with a Pro Mouse, I'd be grateful for comments and any
>recommendations you might have.

The Pro Mouse is one of the nicest-looking mice you're going to find.  (At
least, until it gets dirty.  But if you've had one for a while, I'll let
you be the judge of whether it still looks good.)  But appearance is about
the only thing it has going for it.  At $60, it's much more expensive than
you should expect to pay for a "standard" mouse.  You could get a fancy
multi-button-and-scroll-wheel one for about that, or for less if you shop
around.  (As a gamer, I find extra buttons to be necessary.  Even if you
don't game, it can be useful to assing other behaviors, such as
control-clicking, to the buttons.)

I don't think I've heard any more complaints about problems with the Apple
Pro Mouse than with any other mouse.  It seems to me that it's pretty
common for mice to die young...and equally common for them to survive for
years.  (Until I got my aforementioned multi-button mouse about 2 years
ago, I was still using the good old ADB mouse that had come with my Apple
II GS.)

My recommendation is to shop around and find a less expensive one than the
Pro Mouse.  But if appearance is really important to you, and if you don't
need any special features, then it's probably going to last as long as any
other one-button mouse you'll find.

Nevin