[HM] Pro Mouse

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Thu Dec 12 11:23:52 PST 2002

On Sunday, December 8, 2002, at 10:15  AM, Sue Rodriguez wrote:

> My Pro Mouse appears to be terminal.  In the back of my mind a lurking
> suspicion that I have read about many problems with these devices.

The problems I've read about the Pro Mouse relate to the way the wire
enters into the mouse. There's no (apparent) strain relief which seems
to contribute to the mouse getting "flakey" due to a bad connection
internally.

I read a case of one person who essentially wiggled the wire around
from the outside until things were working (the light came on) then
glued it in place with a glob of hot-melt glue on the exterior.
Unfortunately, it looks like the mouse can't be disassembled for
repair, so a new one may be in order.

>   Before I
> replace a Pro Mouse with a Pro Mouse, I'd be grateful for comments and
> any
> recommendations you might have.

My recommendations depend on who's using the mouse and what they're
doing. We have both the Pro Mouse and a two-button optical Logitech
mouse connected to our Mac at home. The Pro mouse seems to be preferred
by just about everyone, including me, most of the time. If you have
small children or someone who has problems with fine motor coordination
(elderly, arthritis....) I would definitely go for the Pro mouse, its
simply easier to handle.

Having said that, the two button mouse does get used quite a bit, but
its generally only for games. If you're only going to have one mouse
and everyone can physically handle a two-button mouse, it is more
versatile.

-Mike