[HM] Re: iMac

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Mon Dec 16 09:58:33 PST 2002

I just wanted to (hopefully) clarify a few things because the term
"Classic" is being used in a lot of different ways.

First, IIRC, the announcement made a while back is that new models
starting in January will not boot OS 9. They will still run Classic.

What this means is (to the best of my knowledge):

All Macs sold prior to this time will boot in OS 9 and run Classic
under OS X. They aren't going to magically stop booting OS 9.

New models sold after this time will not boot in OS 9 but will still
run Classic. So if you have an application that runs under Classic now,
it will continue to work even on the new models.

Some Mac models sold after this date will still boot OS 9. If this is
important to you, pay close attention prior to making any purchases.
Apple is not going to rework currently shipping models to prevent them
from booting OS 9.

I just want to make sure there is a clear distinction between not being
able to boot in OS 9 and not being able to run Classic. You will still
be able to run Classic for the foreseeable future.

-Mike